Just think about the relationship with reality this lady has, that she thought her son would be in LESS TROUBLE by running to Mexico than facing the likely paltry repercussions of a probation violation. Yeah, don't worry that you are carrying $30k around in a country whose crime rate you can't even fathom, where dozens of people at a time will go missing for seeing something someone didn't want them to see, where the police are afraid of the drug gangs, and where most of the other people who have gone there to hide have been dragged back to the US one way or another anyways.
Definitely agree with your second line there. If ignorance is not an excuse to a law, then why the fuck is that a reasonable defense.That kid would have done the exact same thing even if they had been dirt poor. They were sociopathic parents who raised a sociopathic kid. The amount of abuse and violence going on in the family was staggering. Without the money, they would have been just another poor white trash family and the judge would have thrown the book at the kid the first time around.Seriously. I've been to many places around Mexico and never felt unsafe. Granted, they were touristy spots, but I'm also not one to travel to 'sketchy parts'. Same way I wouldn't drive around sketchy parts of Oakland or Detroit.
People also have a warped view of cities in the US. Crime as a whole has been decreasing for quite a long time. Where I'm at in LA there were 1,092 homicides in 1992 and in 2014 that is down to 260. You just never hear about these type of statistics in the news.You might be exaggerating Mexico a little too much. Have you lived in the ghetto parts of the US I don't particularly feel safe in those areas nor am I sure I'd trust the cops either. I live in a ghetto area but I don't feel unsafe granted there are times when I do. And I have family that lives in South Central LA and let me tell you the things I've seen over there when I have visited them lead me too believe their policing is lacking or the county doesn't care about the not so touristy areas of LA.
My understanding was that when the judge was faced with a not-guilty verdict, he put together a very extreme probation clause, basically knowing that if the kid violated it, even by having just one drink, the kid was going to jail for a very long time.Ethan Couch appeared in adult court for the first time Monday, when a judge announced he is ordering the 19-year-old to serve four 180 day terms consecutively, one term for each of the four people who died in a 2013 drunken driving wreck involving the teen.It had more to do with precedent than anything else. A lot of kids get very lenient sentences on their first offense, especially if the results of the crime were unintentional like manslaughter. The fact that the defense used affluenza honestly just made things a million times worse for the kid by creating a huge media shitstorm, but I suppose it worked out since it put him under a microscope. Could've just dealt with the short probation but this is what happens when you think you're above other people.
No comments:
Post a Comment