The stupid clock tower in my city, where the New Year's celebrations are held, has been running about 2 minutes fast since they rejiggered its innards sometime last year. They didn't fix it for New Year's, and they still haven't fixed it. So everyone heard the clock tower chime midnight, and then a couple minutes later came the countdown to the new year. It's a bit ridiculous.Aggregation of time entities. USNO is a big one, there are other bodies in other nations. They all sample their atomic clocks and monitor earth orbits and agree upon a universal time standard. I used to work at the usno, they take time super seriously.
Guys, it's going to be added before midnight UTC, so it will mostly affect Brits, who take pride in being the odd ones. Sorry, Africa.It's July. February is done. Just bc we can add a second doesn't mean we can time travel.Are you suggesting to have February 2016 in 2017? Since the second is being added to 2016 and not 2017....No. It's a 2016 second. If you waited until 2017, all of January would be a second late. It would be anarchy!Wouldn't that just set a bad precedent for people wanting to add a third or fourth next year? How many more next years can you want?
Nah, I'm just drinking and took a couple... uh... pick me uppers. I work 4 days then off 3, and today was my last work day. So I'm in drinking mode. And I guess I didn't realize it til I started talking about it, but I fucking loved timekeeping,Get into a meeting with the people who have the job of arguing with each other about how to handle time. These kinds of meetings generally allow outside input. EG the unicode consortium has the job of making sure characters on computers work no matter what device you are on. So they bring people in to argue about emojis. Tom Scott does a humorous talk on it.
Actually, leap seconds are quite common. In the 44 years since we started using them, we've has 27 leap seconds, 16 of which were on December 31st, with the remainder on June 30th.It's always been a big deal to programmers. One of the classic examples of edge cases you'd never think about that we often have to deal with.I figured that 2016-12-31-23:59:59 was the better analogue of 1999 from the famous song seeing as it will be the penultimate second of the year, much like 1999 was the penultimate year of the 20th century,Cuts to Donald Trump as President and clearly off his meds, five more beloved celebrities suddenly die, ISIS claims responsibility, six more countries vote to leave the EU, Kanye tweets a dick pic to Taylor Swift, Wikileaks releases evidence that Bill Cosby shot Tupac, and George RR Martin kills your favorite character.
No comments:
Post a Comment