Where is that quote from? The Finnish is a bit butchered there and I've never heard anyone referring to their periods like that. 'vattuviikko' (raspberry week) sounds better and fits with that naming trend too.You know a quote referencing a period is fucked up when "raspberry week" sounds better than it,Raspberry flavor does not come from castoreum. Castoreum is used to enhance the flavor though, it is also used to enhance vanilla flavor too.I've heard "mad cow disease" in English, mostly as the punchline for sexist jokes. Guessing there might be a reason the Finnish looks butchered...
In our house, my daughter and I will announce when we are "At War". Some days we'll be "Fighting a Losing Battle", other days we'll be "Taking On Heavy Casualties" and we'll need to do an "Ammo" run to the drug store.Hah you are like my dad! I am one of four daughters. He would make himself scarce once a month and it took me forever to realize why.And condoms are sometimes called French Letters in England. And when I say "sometimes", I mean "not since about 1981."A Dodge car commercial. It was first played during the Super Bowl, but I can't recall what year. The narration is "there are two things America got right... Cars... And freedom". Still by far one of my favorite super bowl commercials.
In no old french movie, in no old translated movie, in no recent french movie, in no translated movie, not even in school or in a conversation with my grandma.I remember fondly how I felt superior to high schoolers (15-17) when I was in my first year of college (18). They knew nothing about life while I had actually mastered it.Every generation shits on the younger one, up until a point. Then you hit 40 and you suddenly realize you have no idea what the fuck is going on.The Irish one is also off. Yes they might call it a jam rag but it's never used as a term to describe being on a period.
Edit: Funnily enough, I actually have a local equivalent that could be used - my local club is the all-red-wearing Australian Champions, Adelaide United.In the mainland it has that connotation, but elsewhere (i.e Taiwan, America) it basically means "young miss" and is a pretty normal way to address waitresses and other service industry women. About 15 years ago xiaojie used to be the standard polite address for a young woman or waitress (i.e. Miss.). And then the meaning of the term slowly went over to mean "prostitute". At which point we switched over to the more formal and antiquated term nushi (roughly the equivalent to the American Ms.).As an Australian, I've never heard "I've got the flags out", but I can see why it's a strictly Aussie phrase - at Australian beaches safe swimming spots are marked with red and yellow flags, and we're encouraged to swim between them.
No comments:
Post a Comment