Israel, and Tel Aviv in particular, is well known as being a gay-friendly haven in the sea of intolerance that is the Middle East. It's also been heavily targeted by Islamic terrorists over the years, and knows all too well what America is going through. My best friend is from Tel Aviv, and his family is still there, its a fantastic city to visit and has a fantastic night life.its pretty standard for everyone. I was heavily questioned when entering/leaving asking where I was going, where I stayed, who i talked to, did they give me anything, if I made friends where they lived, names, addresses..... it cant be racial profiling as im a ginger white guy.... i dont mind, thats just the world we live in. I LOVED my time in Tel Aviv, such a cool city.
I went to Israel last year for a conference. When I left I was questioned for a few minutes because I had been to Morocco a few times over the last five years. When they were satisfied with my explanation, they let me go.i remember it being pointed out that Israel uses racial profiling in response to some sort of statement that the US will never racially profile at airports. I also remember them saying the Israelis found racial profiling effective.
My research leader is in the field of anti-terrorism and told me Israel's airport security is hands down the best in the world because they don't have an issue blatantly targeting Muslims. In America, where I'm from, airports definitely do target Muslims but apparently it's nothing nearly like it is in Israel. In my opinion, it obviously isn't "nice," but when it comes to keeping people safe, sometimes you do need to be more forceful.Can confirm. It was really REALLY funny being a blonde haired dude with a Canadian passport going through the Israeli-Egypt border with my mom. The CUSTOMS agent actually made a joke, (only staying a few days, why not longer? I uh, that's my trip, hah! Only joking.) I was so taken aback... Meanwhile the Arab dude behind me getting the third degree. It was an odd experience. Israel was awesome tho.
I have visited Israel multiple times. At their initial security checkpoint inside the building, they ask you a series of questions like what you did in the country and where you will be going. At the end of the mini interrogation, they place a sticker on your passport. It has a ten digit number. The first digit (1-6) signifies the threat level, where 6 is the highest threat level. I always get a 6.I am a typical looking Asian American with a U.S. passport. So why? It's because I have a Malaysian visa (Malaysia's official religion is Muslim) in my passport. I know this because they always ask about it as soon as they see it. Also, they step aside and I could hear them mention Malaysia being on the passport. A short while later, the head of security questions me again and gives me the six.
Its easy to say that but what really comes of it? After the Charlie Habdo thing Parisians "fought for peace" and "wouldnt be scared by the terrorists" and formed peace walks. What did it do? Nothing because a year later there was another terror attack.Saying you wont be scared by terror attacks doesnt do anything, because they'll do a bigger terror attack to make you scared. Now I speak like I have some big answer because I dont, I'm an idiot, but the only solution I can think of is irgnore it or have some serious changes be done...

No comments:
Post a Comment